Nellie, a product manager for a software company, oversees development of new software applications. She spends her typical day speaking with customers about their experience with the product as well as with the engineers about what will be in the new product. She has found that you can't make a great product without a great team. You need a team that plays, thinks, and collaborates well together in order to create a great product.
Software developers are the creative minds behind computer programs. Some develop the applications that allow people to do specific tasks on a computer or other device. Others develop the underlying systems that run the devices or control networks. Many software developers work for computer systems design and related services firms or software publishers. Others work in computer and electronic product manufacturing industries.
Software developers typically do the following:
- Analyze users’ needs, then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs
- Recommend software upgrades for customers' existing programs and systems
- Design each piece of the application or system and plan how the pieces will work together
- Create flowcharts and other models that instruct programmers how to write the software’s code
- Ensure that the software continues to function normally through software maintenance and testing
- Document every aspect of the application or system as a reference for future maintenance and upgrades
- Collaborate with other computer specialists to create optimum software
Variable, depending on whether or not you get a degree. It's possible to learn development skills by building applications using a range of free resources on the internet.
Many software developers work for computer systems design and related services firms or software publishers. Some work in computer and electronic product manufacturing industries. Some developers telecommute (work away from the office).
PathSource provides free English transcriptions for each of our informational interviews on video which will appear here after you have signed in. Our advanced transcriptions are highly interactive. They scroll down automatically as the video plays and users can jump to a specific part of the video by clicking on any word in the transcript.
For a small fee, we offer transcriptions in different languages, making PathSource a great tool for English Language Learners. This feature is currently available for customers in the education field only.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to get a price quote for advanced transcripts offered in a second language.